Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Walk, Walk, Walk....



Changing of the guards at the Tomb of the Uknown Soldier. Very neat!
At the George Washington Education Center pretending we had swords in our hand....we thoroughly enjoyed taking this picture. We made a memory and laughed about it throughout the day.

The girls checking out all the gardens and animals on Mt. Vernon! This was a must and a priority of what they wanted to do while in Mt. Vernon.


Our view from the rocking chairs on the back fo Mt. Vernon, beautiful! "Land that I love, stand beside her and guide her..."

Capitol Tour with our representative. The kids were so attentive and so great. I


My friends for the day. Now don't get me wrong I dearly love the boys in my room, but these girls made my day and would always stop to look in department store windows and then we would "power walk" just as fast as we could to catch up. We know this season's fashion and all about D.C. We're girls and we got it down!


The home of George Washington. Did you know when they decided to wire the house that Thomas Edison did this for them? Also, did you know that Mrs. Washington did not attend the funneral of General George Washington due to her mourning, but actually locked the room where he passed away and did not return to it until 2 1/2 years later. We learned so much on Mt. Vernon! Very neat place and gorgeous home on the river.

The Tomb of the Uknown Soldier. 21 steps, the uttmost in military respect and honor. I can't remember what the stone on the grave actually said but it was something to the extent of..."The Uknown, Only God Knows..." So much depth here, so much life.

Before boarding the "Spirit of Washington" and heading to Mt. Vernon. This was a great way to begin our day and catch Washington from the view of the river.

Me (yes, I am wearing the purple shoes) with Representative Louie Gohmert at the Capitol. This was such a wonderful tour!

I am trying so hard to convince myself to write this blog....to be honest, I am so tired. It is a good tired though....an "I cannot believe all we did today, I am in awe...that kind of tired." The kids did so great. I will pick up where I left off. Oh, wait...before I forget....as we were sitting in the Capitol tonight one of the youngest congressmen came in with a group of people whom we had seen walking around a little before within the Capitol. Well, you will never guess who it was? Let me tell you, ha! It was the U.S.A. Olympic Gold Medal Men's and Women's Bobsled team. I remember watching this! Then to top it all off they casually pull out their gold medal out of their khaki shorts pockets while we are sitting in the House of Representatives. Wow! Too cool! So I will pick up where I left off earlier....we had dinner here in the hotel where we had all you can eat tacos with all of the trimmings. We like eating here at the hotel, very yummy! Next, we came back to the room for an hour of some much needed time to chill out, dry off, warm up, and get ready for the evening ahead. We then walked, walked, walked, and walked a little longer to the Capitol where we took a private night tour with Representative Louie Gohmert and one of his interns was from Gilmer, Texas. It was a wonderful tour with an abundance of information and the opportunity to see a ton of things. We did not take this experience for granted and just arrived home at 11:30 PM. We are tired, didn't I say that alraedy? The boys are showering and getting ready for bed and I can definately tell they are worn out. We will sleep well tonight...this I know for certain! I also got to meet up with an old college friend whom I was in a sorority with and we got to catch up...she works for Representative Ted Poe here in D.C. So neat! Oh, Hi Mary Shannon and thank you for the sweet text. After a long day it totally made my evening, thank you! Well, the purple shoes have now retired and my feet are now resting on the chair across the table so yes...it is time for this trek to conclude for the evening but I am so blessed to be walking in the trek of my purple shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment